Saturday, November 4, 2023

Sevenfold Promises And Statements In The Old Testament

Sevenfold Promises And Statements In The Old Testament


A. Sevenfold covenant/promise to Abraham

Genesis 12:2-3
1) And I will make of thee a great nation,
2) and I will bless thee,
3) and make thy name great;
4) and thou shalt be a blessing:
5) And I will bless them that bless thee,
6) and curse him that curseth thee:
7) and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

B. Sevenfold promise to Jacob

Genesis 28:13-15
And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac:
1) the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
2) And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south:
3) and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
4) And, behold, I am with thee,
5) and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest,
6) and will bring thee again into this land;
7) for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.

C. God’s sevenfold promise of deliverance to the Israelites

Exodus 6:6-8
Wherefore say unto the children of Israel, I am the LORD, and
1) I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians,
2) and I will rid you out of their bondage,
3) and I will redeem you with a stretched out arm, and with great judgments:
4) And I will take you to me for a people,
5) and I will be to you a God: and ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, which bringeth you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
6) And I will bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob;
7) and I will give it you for an heritage: I am the LORD.

D. Sevenfold expression of God’s name

Exodus 34:5-7
And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God,
1) merciful and gracious,
2) longsuffering,
3) and abundant in goodness and truth,
4) Keeping mercy for thousands,
5) forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin,
6) and that will by no means clear the guilty;
7) visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

E. Seven ways God says He took Israel out of Egypt

Deuteronomy 4:34
Or hath God assayed to go and take him a nation from the midst of another nation,
1) by temptations,
2) by signs,
3) and by wonders,
4) and by war,
5) and by a mighty hand,
6) and by a stretched out arm,
7) and by great terrors, according to all that the LORD your God did for you in Egypt before your eyes?

F. Sevenfold promise of victory and possession of the land

Joshua 21:43-45
1) And the LORD gave unto Israel all the land which he sware to give unto their fathers;
2) and they possessed it,
3) and dwelt therein.
4) And the LORD gave them rest round about, according to all that he sware unto their fathers:
5) and there stood not a man of all their enemies before them;
6) the LORD delivered all their enemies into their hand.
7) There failed not ought of any good thing which the LORD had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass.

G. Ruth’s sevenfold statement of faith

Ruth 1:16-17
And Ruth said,
1) Intreat me not to leave thee,
2) or to return from following after thee:
3) for whither thou goest, I will go;
4) and where thou lodgest, I will lodge:
5) thy people shall be my people,
6) and thy God my God:
7) Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

H. Sevenfold nature of the Holy Spirit

Isaiah 11:2
1) And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him,
2) the spirit of wisdom
3) and understanding,
4) the spirit of counsel
5) and might,
6) the spirit of knowledge
7) and of the fear of the LORD;

(See also Revelation 1:4; 3:1; 4:5; 5:6)

I. 7 things the Messiah would do when He comes to the nation of Israel - the 7th is at His second coming (compare with Luke 4:18-19)

Isaiah 61:1-2
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because
1) the LORD hath anointed me
2) to preach good tidings unto the meek;
3) he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
4) to proclaim liberty to the captives,
5) and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
6) To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,
7) and the day of vengeance of our God;

to comfort all that mourn; (This last phrase is not referred to in the passage in Luke mentioned above as the emphasis is on what Jesus did during His earthly ministry AND where He chose to stop His quoting of Isaiah from; as “the day of vengeance of our God” is referring to when Jesus comes the second time to judge this world and to reign from Jerusalem, though many people at that time did not understand this yet.

J. Seven benefits of faith, from David.

Psalm 103:2-5
Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
1) Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; 
2) who healeth all thy diseases; 
3) Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; 
4) who crowneth thee with lovingkindness 
5) and tender mercies; 
6) Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; 
7) so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

November 4th, 2023
Jerry Bouey

No comments:

Post a Comment