Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Shadow Of Things To Come

As much as I love working on studies and posting new things, I hardly ever seem to have the time to do indepth writing anymore - yet I am always working on new sermon outlines for my devotionals at the Gospel Mission. I normally toss the outlines once I develop them into longer studies, but often dread losing work that I put time and prayer into. I am sure I have oodles of untyped outlines in boxes and drawers that would be a blessing to others - IF I ever typed them out. As a preacher, I am blessed many times by reading sermon outlines by others, so why not have an outlet to post these "shadow outlines" here - a shadow of things to come (Lord willing).

I use that blog title in two senses:

1. In reference to Colossians 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

All of Scripture is about the Lord Jesus Christ, and even the types and pictures found in the Old Testament, when properly studied out, find their substance and fulfillment in the Saviour.

Revelation 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Jesus is the spirit - the heart and soul, if you will, the central figure and theme of all Biblical prophecy. All of the Word of God points to Him.

Hebrews 10:7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

If you miss Jesus in all your studying and reading of the Bible, you've missed everything!

2. These sermon/devotional outlines are a shadow of fuller messages to come (that will be posted on Buy The Truth, Lord willing, when and if I am able to develop them further). While they may be simply a shadow now, their substance and body is of Christ, as all true Bible study should be!

Even if I am unable at times to work on full studies, I can still be a blessing to others by posting these outlines. This also helps me keep my focus on studying the Word of God, and still keeps me actively developing the gift of teaching that the Lord has entrusted me with.

I hope these outlines are a blessing to you, and perhaps may be a springboard for more indepth Bible studies and devotionals on your part.

April 21st/2010
Jerry Bouey

No comments:

Post a Comment