Friday, April 23, 2010

Compound Names Of The Lord

Compound Names Of The Lord

When you are struggling, meditate on the nine compound names (there may also be others) of Jehovah in the Old Testament and Jesus' seven I Am statements in the Gospel of John, and marvel at how the LORD meets every need you could possibly ever face.

The nine compound names and their translations into English are as follows:

1) Jehovah-Jireh, The LORD my Provider. (Genesis 22:8, 13-14)
2) Jehovah-Rapha, The LORD my Healer. (Exodus 15:26)
3) Jehovah-Nissi, The LORD my Banner. (Exodus 17:15)
4) Jehovah-Qadash, The LORD thy Sanctifier. (Exodus 31:13)
5) Jehovah-Shalom, The LORD our Peace. (Judges 6:23-24)
6) Jehovah-Raah, The LORD my Shepherd. (Psalm 23:1)
7) Jehovah-Sabaoth, The LORD of Hosts. (Isaiah 6:3)
8) Jehovah-Tsidkenu, The LORD our Righteousness. (Jeremiah 23:6; 33:16)
9) Jehovah-Shammah, The LORD Is There (ie. Present). (Ezekiel 48:35)

The name "Jesus" means "the LORD our Salvation," a further revelation of the magnitude of the LORD. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call His name JESUS: for He shall save His people from their sins. Matthew 1:21.

Jesus’ seven I Am statements are:

1) I Am the Bread of Life. (John 6:35, 48, 51)
2) I Am the Light of the World. (John 8:12; 9:5)
3) I Am the Door of the Sheep. (John 10:7, 9)
4) I Am the Good Shepherd. (John 10:11-14)
5) I Am the Resurrection and the Life. (John 11:25)
6) I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. (John 14:6)
7) I Am the True Vine. (John 15:1, 5)

By the way, the number seven in the Bible represents perfection, fullness, completion. Just thought you should know Jesus is all you need!

(Quoted from my study, Leaning On The Lord)

7 other I Ams in John: 4:26 (I Am the Messiah); 8:24, 28, 58; 13:19; 18:5, 8. These last two really show the Lord Jesus Christ's power.

John 18:4-6 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

He just had to declare who He was, and the crowd fell over backwards!

Each one of these names reveal who the Lord is, reveals something about His character, and His desire to meet all the needs we will ever face in this life.

Read these two poems:

My Name Is I Am

I Am Jesus

Preached April 23rd/2010
Jerry Bouey

No comments:

Post a Comment